Wednesday, April 1, 2009

New theme

First off, before I begin, I guess I've been working on this game on and off for like 2 1/2 years now. Almost 3. Mostly off, but still, it feels like a while. Anyway, yesterday I ran into someone at the local gaming store who said he'd been working on his game for 9 years, and was so excited that it was probably going to get finished by the end of the year (it looked like a neat idea, http://www.figurefight.com/). It kind of hit me: 9 years. Dang. There is a part of me that thinks of that as a bad omen. I really hope it doesn't take me that long. Like, get this done by the end of the year was my hope, but I guess we'll see.

Anyways, on to the theme. There was always something about escaping from a prison island that never quite sat right with me. I think in the end that the focus of the theme seemed too much about escaping, not about fighting. So, I think I'm going to scrap that idea. Instead, I'm replacing it with a new theme: basically, Illeria was once the world center of culture, science, and especially magic. Somehow, there was a downfall, and now everyone is trying to escape. Each battle will be about acquiring things that will help you on your route to escape, and in the end of each campaign, only a few will survive.

What is causing the downfall though is the problem. I'm letting the ideas jiggle around in my head right now. The favorite idea for now is a doomsday prophecy, but I don't know if I can make that fit with the other elements. I'm still not sure just why people would fight to avoid a doomsday prophecy. But yeah, I go into this with no ambivalent or reserved feelings though, so yay! Things on that end are, well, aligning themselves to fall into place.

Maybe I'll have lots of time this weekend to think about it during the unicycle rally.

Simon

“‘Where to we go from here?’ ‘Who says we’re here?’” – George Carlin

1 comment:

Sarah Marvelous said...

ohhhh, Simon. ♥

Do you mind that I read your blog?